New Puppy

My Dear Tabby,

I have recently "acquired" a puppy and I'm in a bit of a pickle about it.  The story is that I witnessed this puppy being very badly neglected - you could say abused, I guess.  This poor, tiny puppy was languishing in the driveway, or else absently wondering in the road, near death.  I couldn't live with myself if I just ignored the situation and did nothing.  I tried calling the local Humane Society but they could only "investigate" which would take much needed survival time from the puppy.  So one day I took action -and the puppy.

You should know, MDT, that I fully intended to give this puppy some basic care and then turn her over to the Humane Society so she could be adopted.  You should also know that on the very first car ride, after I had taken her, I named her.  This would be my undoing.

Almost two months later, she is living with us and we have spent several hundred dollars on her recovery and care.  She is adorable.  She is beautiful.  She is a handful.  Two or four hands full, really.   My whole family is frustrated with her wiley ways - the biting of both body parts and furniture, the peeing all over (despite what seems like endless outdoor jaunts), the incessant barking, and general puppy behaviors.

I feel I have been unfair to them, and the cats - who are equally over it.

As is my husband who bears scars of having done everything for our previous rescue.

Which means what, I don't know.  Some part of me feels I should try to find a new home for this sweet, beautiful dog.  Another part really does want a dog (not a puppy!) and thinks maybe if we just get her (and me? us?) professionally trained?

Meanwhile, the vet and care bills are mounting.  Like the levels of frustration of every single member of our family.  What should I do?

Yours,
Stressed in Puppy World


_______________________________________________________________

Dear Stressed,

First of all, kudos to you for such an act of compassion and bravery of which you ought be proud! Second of all, your situation may not be as untenable as you think.  I'd like to suggest that you have a frank conversation with your human family members, expressing your fears and concerns.  Let them know that you see and appreciate their frustration, and in point of fact, feel much the same way.  

Being open and honest is the best way to work towards a solution - together.  Even though it was your decision to rescue this animal, this is not your burden to bear alone - your whole family was there to embrace the puppy and help her on her road to recovery.  You can all make the decision together.  

I also encourage you to have a private conversation with your partner; ask what he is willing to do, if anything.  Ensure that you recognize his perspective.  Like you, he may be having mixed feelings about the presence of the puppy.  

Finally, give yourself permission to release the puppy.  It's okay if you choose not to keep her.  You've done a lot for her already - starting with saving her life! and it sounds like you've done a lot to make sure she is in excellent health.  If the puppy is not a good fit for your family, that's okay.  You've already done plenty! 

Take good care of you so you can take good care of others.

Sincerely,


Tabby



Comments

Popular Posts